Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The word 'blog'

There seems to be a lot of talk at the moment about the jargon surrounding ICT tools -- particularly the word 'blog'. We have heard 'blog' a lot lately. In the media, in schools and from other learning professionals. So what is a blog? If you are reading this then it is likely you already know, if not then I will attempt to define it.
Blogging is putting your ideas out there for others to read, reflect and comment on. Blogs are a reflective tool. For me, it helps to consolidate my views and ideas. A blog defines you. It forms a picture of who you are. What you stand for. What you are passionate about.

I recently had a discussion with a colleague about the purpose of blogs. He believed it was for getting feedback. I believe that it is to share ideas and is an outlet for feeling and belief. Getting feedback is just one of the bonuses. There is no expectation for feedback. When you get it it feels great but it is not the purpose for blogging in the first place.

Now, if I ask a direct question at the end of a post then that might be a different story. The questions might be answered. Or they may not. It may generate a discussion -- perhaps not on the blog but in someone's staffroom or living room. The reason I wrote this post -- to arrange thoughts in my head ready for a presentation -- not for getting feedback (although I would really really love it if you did comment!!).

Why do you blog? What purpose does it serve for you? If you don't blog, why not? How do you define 'blogging'?

5 comments:

TeachingJensWay said...

Good question! I blog to reflect. I've found that it also helps to validate my ideas. Even if no one but my mom reads my blog, the fact that I care about something enough to put it out there for the world validates me.

efreeman said...

Thanks Jenny.

I have added your blog to my RSS reader and look forward to reading more. It looks like you have a great wee class! ... and I think my Mum is one of two who subscribe to my blog :)

Marnie said...

I am the same as you - I blog to think - writing helps me to think things through. Sometimes I look back and cringe at my thinking later but I know it was a step in my learning and that I consolidated my learning by explaining it on my blog. They do say you have to really understand what you are talking about to teach it - I think the same is true of blogging.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kirstin Anderson-McGhie (Keamac) said...

I blog because I have an overwhelming need to write - I've written since I was a little girl, stories, poems, plays, diaries, etc. I have a lot of thoughts and ideas whirling around in my head - blogging allows me to set them down in a more structured form. I see it as a conversation mainly with myself - but it's great when others join in and add their thoughts or opinions to mine. I blog so I remember things - it creates a resource for me to return to at a later date.
I have a scrapbooking/family news blog as well as my teacher/ict blog. The scrapbooking/family blog allows me to share my creations and news with others - friends and family - plus it provides me with a creative outlet.
I also have a classroom blog which is a combination of my voice and those of my class - we blog to communicate with their parents and each other. We also use our blog to collaborate with other classes in NZ and beyond, although I am required to keep this blog invite only which makes it hard for my children to get a wider audience.