Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Novel Concerns

I have now spent a ridiculous amount of time browsing the net trying to find a new and exciting novel to start the school year. I have always managed to find something a little different to hook the kids in from day one. Here are some I have read in the past: Percy Jackson series,Far North,Running Out of Time, Karazan Quartet, Lion Boy (kids weren't that keen), and others. At this stage I have found a couple of options: Coraline by Neil Gaiman (although I am concerned this may be a little scary for the start of the year as I teach Year 5/6), Eleven by Patricia Reilly Giff (there are absolutely no reviews of this book available at all!), Tuck Everlasting (seems to be popular) or Skullduggery Pleasant (again too scary?). I really wish there were a website designed for teachers to go to find novels with reviews and teacher notes (aside from the biased publisher websites). If anyone knows of one or can make a recommendation for a great novel, please put me out of my misery!!!

No comments: